General Sessions Court
General Sessions Court is a court of limited jurisdiction. Civil jurisdiction is limited to specific types of actions and a monetary limit of $25,000 except for Detainer Warrants, wherein the court shall have unlimited original jurisdiction; and Actions to Recover Personal Property wherein the court shall have unlimited original jurisdiction including jurisdiction to award an alternative money judgment. Criminal jurisdiction is limited to misdemeanor cases and preliminary hearings in felony cases.
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Judge Don A. Layton - General Sessions Division I
• General Sessions Judge Division I – 1998- Present
• Frequent speaker at Clerk and Judicial conferences presented by the Administrative Office of Courts
• Served as an Instructor for the University of Tennessee Center for Government Service and Roane State Community College
• Past President of the Tennessee General Sessions Judges Conference
• Served as Anderson County Clerk and Master – 1991-1998
• 1996-Tennessee Most Outstanding Court Clerk
• 1972 – University of Tennessee – Doctor of Jurisprudence
Judge Roger A. Miller - General Sessions Division II